Thursday, March 10, 2011

New Babyhood Regrets

So, the other day, when I was typing out a Helen Claire weekly post, and I typed that I recently realized she's growing out of the "babyhood." It seems like that time went by so so fast, especially my maternity leave. It was truly like I blinked and it was over.

I also realized I have some regrets about that new baby time. There are so many things I wanted to do, so many plans, so many anticipated moments... and I wanted to remember every single one and do everything just right. Then she actually got here, and I was so happy, but also a little overwhelmed. I did my best to remember all the things I wanted to do with her, but some things just didn't happen. Now that I have time to look back on it, there are some things I wish I would have done better or at least tried to begin with. To make myself feel better, and because I can't really go back and do these things with a 9 month old, I decided I would make a list of things I would try to do if we have another child (much later on... no worries about HC getting a brother or sister anytime soon) :) This is just for me to have on hand, if I ever need it.

1. Swaddling. Ok, I'm going to be really honest here. We tried swaddling, and Helen Claire wanted no part of it. A sweet friend loaned me some swaddle me blanket wraps, and HC would scream if her arms were pinned down. So, we swaddled her with receiving blankets, so she wasn't wrapped as tightly. She always managed to get her arms free and sleep with them over her head. If I had time to read more during those first weeks, I would have known that I should have kept up with the tight swaddling. Eventually, according to what I've read now, she would have caught on and would have actually slept better and for longer stretches earlier. So, next time around, I'll try the miracle blanket and the ones by Swaddleme I also like the blankets and sleep sack by Aden and Anais. We have them both, and LOVE them (they are so soft), but again, we didn't stick with pinning her arms down like we should have.

2. Sling/wraps... tried, no success. I see cute little moms out and about with their babies in slings or in wraps. I would have especially liked this in the very early newborn days. It just looks so sweet and nurturing. I really wish I would have learned to use a Moby wrap. I would also LOVE an Ergo carrier, even now.

3. Babywise. God help me, I tried. I don't know if I missed something or if I am just dumb. I read the book twice, went through the index for different topics, and I could never get the schedule just right. We are still trying. I even bought the second book in the series.... why was this so confusing for me?

4. Exercise. I should do more- with Helen Claire, on my own, just anytime really. That's all.

5. The stuff. There is so much stuff when you have a baby, and I'm convinced it is probably more of an issue with first babies. I obsess over the best stroller/carseat/jumper/swing/blah blah blah... it is stuff overload... yet I still worry about it not being the perfect thing or my baby not having whatever all the other kids have. Do I really want to perpetuate that kind of thinking? Can you imagine the kind of toddler I would be creating!!! Why do I do this to myself? For example, do not waste your time buying an infant safety kit or adding one to your registry. The hospital is going to give you the best nasal aspirator you will ever get, and you will spend most of your time wondering where that one is when your baby gets sick. The one in the kit is a major dud- it collapses when you try to use it. I thought about buying the Nosefrida off of Amazon... it looks gross, but supposedly, it works better than the bulby things. There are youtube videos if you are interested in how this thing works.

Note to future Jenny if you are reading this... you really only need a few things to raise a perfectly happy baby, and you are going to gravitate towards the things you need/use most and the rest will be in the way.

6. More videos. I got better around 4 months, but I don't have many from her newborn days. That makes me sad.


7. Birthday banner. I saw the cutest idea when I was nesting and collecting all the ideas I wanted to use for HC. I wanted to make a homemade flag banner for our window when she was born. It never happened. Sorry, Claire Bear. Maybe I can get that done for your first birthday party...


Helen Claire, you are our first baby, and I made mistakes. I will make more, but I love you more than anything in the world, and you should always know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment