Monday, March 5, 2012

Passie

DSC_0396
This is our last picture with passie-roo. Not that it was Helen Claire's last time using it... I think that was sometime last Sunday.

Here's the backstory. Mom, Vickie and Chad were coming here last weekend for a dinner/shower with some of our college friends. Helen Claire was sick on Friday, and I figured it was her ears. I took her to the doctor because we were all sick, and I was scared it was turning into something more than just a cold. Her ears were clear, but she did have an upper respiratory infection. So, we started the antibiotic for that. Friday, while we were at the dinner thing, Jonathan and Chad stayed home with Helen Claire. She had thrown up/coughed all day, and by the time we got home, she was still awake and her fever had spiked. Saturday night, her fever spiked again and she was miserable. The nurse said it would take a little while for the antibiotics to work, and she was right. By Sunday, things were much better.


During all of the coughing, stuffiness, throwing up drama, Helen Claire did not want her passie. It made all of the congestion worse, so she did not use it at all. We took advantage of the opportunity, and washed, sanitized and put away all of the passies we could find last week. We still need to do a really thorough search of our cars and under her crib. I don't want her to find one, because as long as she doesn't see it, she hasn't missed it so far (prayers for this to continue are welcomed)!


She has only asked for passie one time since last week, and we sort of just ignored her and moved on to something else. I took her on a trip to Pansey this weekend, and I didn't even pack a passie- for the car ride or anything! To say I was nervous about the potential break down and a long car trip is an understatement! Passie is my go-to calm down tool in the car. But, she did just fine, so I think we can say that she is officially done with the passie. No more singing "Passie, passie roo... where are you" (to the tune of the Scooby Doo song) at night as we frantically search for it :)


Jonathan and I both said last night that we were pretty happy that she gave it up at 20 months, and that it was pretty painless. She was already used to only using the passie during bedtime, which she started at 15 months old when she moved to the toddler room at school. We probably should have worked to get her completely off of it sooner, but since we both had ours until we started school or longer, we are happy with her timeline :)


Way to go, Helen Claire. You are such a big girl!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even notice this weekend! Glad I didn't say anything about it!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete