Monday, January 9, 2012

Thankful

We are currently battling sleep training number one thousand ninety two over at the Lucas three. Seriously, how many times have we tried to sleep train??? Poor little Helen Claire. It seems like as soon as we get it down pat, she gets an ear infection, or new teeth, or we go out of town, or something happens to throw off her routine, and we are starting all over.

Tonight, as I was praying that she would fall asleep and not feel scared, I felt so anxious. I knew she was sleepy, and I didn't want her to be too upset to fall asleep. I decided I would think of all the things I'm thankful for, and I realized there are so many. Too many too count really.

Does anyone else read Ann Voskamp and feel completely ungrateful and also like you want to move to a farm? Me too. But, what I like about her is that she doesn't make me feel like a complete loser. She gives me a reminder to look for ways to be thankful. I have been thinking about taking her challenge for the month of January, and I've even printed the handout, but I haven't done it yet. I guess this post is my quick way of getting that done, in some way. Anyway, here is the actual dare from A Holy Experience.

onethousandgifts-januaryportrait

The idea is that you are supposed to take a picture and share three gifts a day. I haven't done that obviously, but I do want to do something. So when all my sleep training efforts and all the "right things" kept falling short, her dare somehow popped into my head right when I needed it.

I needed a reminder to be thankful in those trying moments. There is so much to be thankful for. Not that sleep isn't important, but in the big picture, it's a little thing.

Here is my little list so far:
  • Helen Claire trying to say "I Love You."
  • Her grabbing my hand to hold through the crib slats
  • A healthy baby (awake, able to scream her head off- all reminders that she CAN do these things because she is alive and well)
  • The way she smells just out of the bath
  • How she asks to sing Whole World or I Thank God for her Daddy every single night
  • Bear hugs
  • Kisses
I haven't given this all the thought it deserves, but I hope to complete the list for January, even if it will be late. I think it could help with anxiety- fighting feeling with feeling- and choosing to see the joy in things.



No comments:

Post a Comment