Jonathan was 19 when we started dating. I have no idea how old he was when we met... maybe 7? I don't really ever remember meeting him- we went to elementary, middle and high school together and grew up in a teeny little town. We always knew each other. Today, he is 30. My boyfriend is 30- that's weird. Especially because I'm sure we were just teenagers going to my prom a few weekends ago!
If you have never met Jonathan, you are missing out. There is no one else I would want to do life with. He has always been kind, compassionate, easy-going, polite, and a perfect gentleman. He was a great guy to date, because you could bank on three things: you would never need to bring your own money, you would never touch a door, and even though he would sweetly ask what you wanted to do, he always had a plan. He puts up with all my craziness and still treats me like he did before he learned to love me like he does now.
One of the happiest things about my life is watching Jonathan's relationship with Helen Claire. They are two peas in a pod, and they adore each other. They are both calm and collected to a certain point, but when they have had enough, watch out. They are detailed and will look at the same thing over and over, inspecting every little bit of something.
He is the most precious Daddy. He does not stress out like I do; he is steady and solid. He rarely lets his emotions get the best of him. He has strong intuition and knows when to be gentle, when to crack a joke, when to be quiet... it's one of his best qualities.
He is also the fun one....spontaneous, and our spender. Without Jonathan, things would be pretty boring for us. He plays and loves to get really tickled...his laugh is out of control. Then, Helen Claire gets tickled and our house is full of little girl giggles. It's my favorite.
He loves me, gets me... and we might disagree when it's just us, but he would take my side in an instant. Once we make a decision, he will act like it's his own and will not ever say "I told you so" if it doesn't work out. I admire that and wish I had more of that in me.
In case you ever need to know the way to Jonathan's heart, here is a quick list of how to keep him happy (these are mostly just for fun; he really is easy to please):
- Don't run out of Q-tips. He is serious about ear hygiene.
- Keep a two pack of Old Spice Pure Sport deodorant in the bathroom cabinet. He feels stressed out if he thinks he might run out. You will never see us buy a one pack of deodorant.
- Let him take a shower right when he wakes up. Don't talk, don't even say good morning. Just let him take the shower... trust me. After that, he'll be glad to talk about whatever, shoot, he may even go get some breakfast for you or give you a little kiss, but not before that shower.
- Have some sweet tea in the refrigerator.
We LOVE you, Jonathan and hope you have a very happy day. You know I'm crazy, but you also know I'm crazy about you! Even though you aren't excited about turning 30, I think you are getting better every year!
No comments:
Post a Comment