Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Helen Claire Weekly

Happy 44 Weeks to Helen Claire!



DSC_0167_2




DSC_0172




DSC_0166


This week, she contracted another strange illness... Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease. When I picked her up from school on Friday, she was still asleep from her afternoon nap. That NEVER happens. When I leaned over her crib and picked her up, she felt warm to me. Sure enough, when I got her home and took her temp, she had a low fever... around 100.1. She was fussy and grouchy all day Saturday, but her fever never went above 100.5, so I figured she was teething, because she was also drooling and not very interested in her food. (I later found out this was another symption of HFMD becuase the sores were in her throat and it hurt to swallow- sad).



DSC_0148




DSC_0143


Then, on Sunday, she started getting a flat rash with blisters. I called the nurse line (who by the way is probably about ready to report me to DHR as much as I call), and the nurse said it sounded like HFMD, but we could bring her in to the office to have it looked at to make sure.



DSC_0140



DSC_0139



DSC_0136


Monday, she stayed home with Jonathan then came to work with me, then we went to the doctor. Dr. C confirmed our case of Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease, and he said to give her Tylenol or Advil for the irritability and pain and swab her mouth with Maalox. The anti-acid helps soothe the blisters. We got to call HC's school to tell them so they could post a warning. Apparently, HFMD is classified as a communicable disease by the CDC and daycare centers are required to post a notice when children get the virus. Wow, that will make you feel like a good parent. The good news is that it is just a virus. It sounds a lot worse than it is. She is not in any pain, and now that the fever is gone, she isn't contagious and she can attend daycare. We all joke that she won't have anything left to catch next year... I think she's gearing up to have a super immune system.



DSC_0133
This picture cracks me up... they look like twins.

I was happy that she got to go back to school because we are celebrating the "Week of the Young Child."

We missed Monday, which was sock day, but we did bring our sock donations for Jessie's Place.


Tuesday was hat day (and I forgot to take a picture). She wore her frog hat, and she looked so cute.



Wednesday was note day, and we sent a special note with her sack lunch- turkey and cheese on wheat and a banana (her current favorite)



Thursday was favorite color day- she wore a green outfit with pink flowers from Papa and Granny. HC's favorite color is probably turquoise, but we didn't have an outfit that color, so green was a close second. Plus, my favorite color is pink and Jonathan's favorite color is green, so it was a good mix.



Friday was PJ day!!! Can I just say that I wish everyday was PJ day. All the kids looked so cute, and it was super easy to get the baby dressed this morning!

When I dropped Helen Claire off this morning, Mrs. Beryl (who we LOVE, and who just retired, which makes me so so sad) was visiting. HC went right to her and stayed with her at the front desk while I dropped off all of her things. She would have stayed there all day, with her friend Mrs. Beryl, watching all the mommies bring in their children for the day. She had such a good time people watching!



DSC_0164




DSC_0131




DSC_0129


Also, today, her teacher Mrs. Mickey made me feel so validated (Vickie, that was for you and Dr. Freeman). It is well established to you blog readers that I had a difficult time with Babywise. I wanted it to work, really, but it seemed cruel and I couldn't really explain to my 2 week old that it wasn't time to eat yet. Mikey told me today that if she could she would find every copy ever published and host a bonfire. She said we were wonderful parents, and we had a happy, easy-going baby who slept, never cried or screamed when other children took her toys and would eat anything they put in front of her. She's worked with children over 30 years, so it was a major (and much needed) boost to my confidence. Thank you, Mrs. Mickey- we LOVE you so much, and you take such good care of our baby. She can always pick you out on the class picture, and I know she misses you on the weekends :)



Helen Claire has had a good week, overall, and we have been trying even more foods this week.



She had okra at school and cheese and macaroni at home- that's her Papa's favorite food, and he was so proud his tootie bug had some :)



She still loves her daddy, Jordan and being outside. We went for a stroller ride on Saturday while Jonathan took the FE, and Helen Claire was so funny. She rides with one foot out straight and the other propped on the tray of the stroller. The whole time I was steering, all I could see were little toes sticking up from the seat!



She is more and more mobile everyday. She still doesn't crawl a lot, but she has a few times, just a scoot or two, and she's done, but I feel better knowing she CAN do it. We installed a baby gate at the entry way steps this past weekend, so it feels really real that we have a moving baby!  Here is a little video of how she moves these days.

Untitled from Jenny Lucas on Vimeo.


Last night, she was crawling "laps" in her crib. I heard something, so I went in to check on her, and she had turned herself over and was pulling herself along with her crib rails, then flipping and going the other way. We are lowering the mattress tonight :)



This weekend, we are headed to the Pepper Place market with our friend Kacey. We were supposed to go last weekend, but we changed our minds. Then, we are on to our first birthday party for our little friend EF. We can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment