Well, we here at the Lucas household are behind on all fronts, including our Helen Claire Weekly post. Life interrupted week 11 to dump a right-side ear infection and cold on our sweet little miss. Poor thing has been one miserable baby. She is pitiful- congested, uncomfortable, drippy-nosed, feverish- she just plain out feels bad. Last week, I thought her ears were bothering her, so I called the doctor, and the nurse told me that if she didn't have symptoms of a cold, it was most likely not an ear infection and not to schedule an appointment. I took her advice, but I shouldn't have. Like Granny Helen says, mothers know their own babies better than anyone else. I should have made an appointment the first time I thought she was sick. But, I didn't, and we ended up at the pediatrician's office this morning. He made me feel less guilty, though, and said it was normal for babies to get sick after their first full week of daycare. Blame it on daycare or on the normalcy of babies getting sick, but I still feed bad. We came home with a 10 day supply of amoxicillin and some Vick's Baby Rub, Johnson's Vapor Bath, Vapor Plug-in, and Vapor discs for our humidifier, so we are ready to start feeling better. I really just want to make her as comfortable as possible.
Not much else to update on, really. She has felt so bad that it is hard to notice anything else. She is still sleeping pretty well, when she feels better. She eats between 10-11 at night, then sleeps until about 3 am when she gets another snack, and then she sleeps until it is time to wake up in the morning. She is napping better at school. She really loves to sleep on her side, but we only let her do that when we are watching her- never at night. She got some new swaddle blankets from Mimi last weekend, and she loves them. If we can ever get those arms and hands down, she's out like a light :). Last week at school, she weighed 13 pounds even, but today at the doctor, she was 12.11. I think being sick has kept her from eating as much as she usually would. But, no worries, we still have our chubby little cheeks, and we want to keep it that way!
One major thing that has improved this week is our morning routine. I am getting better about keeping her occupied in the car and keeping her happy. Thankfully, she is an excellent car rider, so we were ahead of the curve, but I have also started a little car-time routine with her. When she gets in her seat, I put a little pig wrist rattle on her arm, so she can play. She also has a mirror on the back of the seat, and she LOVES to watch herself- it is really cute to hear her laughing in the backseat, and it sure beats listenening to screams!
Say a little prayer for her, if you think of it, that she would feel better and be comfortable enough to rest. That's our main issue with all of the yucky that she has- she can't sleep, and that just makes things worse because she can't get better without good rest.
... more to come next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment