Sunday, August 15, 2010

First ER Visit.. Check!

So, we had an eventful weekend. Jonathan's mom, Nana, has been staying with Helen Claire from Wednesday until Saturday morning, when Pawpaw came to pick her up. It was supposed to be a fun visit, because Maddy came along to meet her baby cousin.

Right after they got here, Helen Claire needed to eat, so I decided I would take her into the bedroom to avoid any awkward conversations with a 6 year old about breastfeeding :) In the pool house, there are two little steps that lead down into our bedroom. I am always so careful about going down the stairs while I hold the baby, but Saturday, my foot hit the first step wrong, and I fell- hard. I tried as hard as I could to grab on to anything, but there was nothing I could hold onto, and we fell down the last step and onto the floor. Thank God I had the back of Helen Claire's head, but I saw her little face plant into the floor. I know it had to hurt, because it hurt my leg, and it was her poor little face. I was up on the floor in half a second flat, and Jonathan and Mr. Ben were there before I could even get all the way up. We checked Helen Claire, and she looked fine. She only cried for a few minutes, then she ate and acted normally. Just to be safe, we immediately called the emergency pediatrician number, and they said since she was so young, we needed to head to Children's Hospital ER- I was terrified and also incredibly guilt-ridden for falling down while holding my child. Who does that?!? AND, was the ER going to call DHR on us? Seriously, all these thoughts are running through my head, but we manage to get ready and head out to the ER. All the while, the baby is fine and happy and playing, by the way, so I'm not totally unfit.

Anyway, we get to Children's and thankfully, one of my college friends, Courtney is working at the ER desk. Praise the Lord! She gets us right back to a room, the nurse sees us, the nurse practitconer sees us, then the doctor sees us, and they all decide that Helen Claire is ok. Based on their external exams, checking her eyes, ears and nose for any traces of bleeding, they determined that it was riskier to perform a CT scan than to monitor her for 24 hours. So, we went home and watched every little move she made until Sunday afternoon. She has been great, so we are all clear.

Now, mommy is just hanging on to the door frame for dear life when we walk anywhere!

1 comment: