I love this one- it's like she's trying to figure out what's over there.
Happy 5th week birthday, baby girl! This week, we have had lots of visitors. Last week, my sister came to town on the way to her girls' weekend at the lake. She flew out of Birmingham, so she stayed with us again early this week.
We also had a big visit- Newt got to meet baby Helen Claire! He and Josh are so cute with her, and I love seeing the big, tall, boys they are be so sweet with a little tiny baby.
Even when they all got peed on, they were sweet and got right to work on changing her outfit.
Shelby and Aunt Laurie came too, and Newt took a tour of Samford while he was here. My mom was also back in town, catching a flight.
This week, Helen Claire has not been on a very good schedule. I am trying so hard, but it is really difficult to get such a little baby on a schedule. How in the world am I supposed to explain to a 5 week old that it's not time to eat yet? I am doing the best I know how to do, but it has been a struggle for me. She seems happy, for the most part, though, so for now, I'm just going to keep her happy and feed her when she acts hungry. The schedule will work itself out, in time, I think.
Since she will be starting "school" in three weeks, we tried giving her a pumped bottle this week, to make sure she would take food from someone else. The first attempt was a little overwhelming for her, because Newt and Josh were here, and they wanted to help feed her, which was fine. She ate and seemed to be ok.
The second attempt was not so great. I think because I was trying to give her the bottle, she was really confused. The last time we tried it, mom gave her the bottle, and it took her a while, but that seemed to work better. We had to find a bottle that would work for her (the Medela pump bottles were too fast), and we found that the Playtex drop ins work the best right now. I am a nervous wreck about how we are going to get all of this figured out before daycare starts. Also, I am not good about putting her down for naps. I think she is too little to cry herself to sleep right now, and I feel like I should pick her up. So, that's what I've been doing, and she pretty much has to be rocked to sleep. Oh well, at least she sleeps. That's what I'm telling myself.
Helen Claire and I were by ourselves totally for the first time this week. Jonathan's grandmother passed away, so he went to Dothan on Wednesday to be with his family and go to the funeral. Since everyone had been at the hospital and probably picked up a lot of germs, we decided it would not be a good idea for us to take the baby, so she and I stayed here. We did ok last night, but we are ready for him to be back!
She has had some tummy trouble this week. She is having trouble eating at some of her feedings and pulls away crying. Then she makes a noise that sounds like she is choking. It really is scary, and I feel so bad for her because feeding her doesn't make it better, but she acts so hungry. I've been reading, and it sounds like reflux, but I am calling the pediatrician today to find out for sure and see what he thinks. She also got her first diaper rash this week- I know, not a first that you look forward to, but we have changed from Desitin to Boudreaux's Butt Paste (spelling?) and are getting it under control.
She has started wearing a bib. We actually tried it for the first time this morning, because we were getting milk all over her clothes. So far, so good, and I must say, I think she looks pretty cute in her bib!
Her eyes are still blue for now, and I hope they will stay that way. She lucked up, because they are a really pretty color. She still wants to hold her head up so badly- she works really hard at it, and she can be a little scary when she whips it around.
All in all, we have had a pretty good week, and I think when we get the tummy issues settled, things will get even better- let's hope so!
I went back and looked at her first week pics and does it look like her hair is getting lighter to you? Really like the headband
ReplyDeleteYes, her hair is getting lighter. I think it also looks light because some has fallen out on the sides. The mullet part is still brown- ha ha ha.
ReplyDelete