Thursday, July 29, 2010

2 Month Checkup


What's a baby girl to do after 3 shots in one leg, 2 in the other, and an oral vaccine?  Get lots of cuddling, rock-rocking, milk and some jammies, then go to sleep.



Here are her stats at 7 weeks:

Weight- 11 pounds, 9 ounces.  She has gained 3 pounds, 8 ounces since her two week check-up.  
Length- 22 3/4 inches
Head Circumference- 15 inches

She was in the 90-95th percentile for both weight and height.  I asked if she was gaining weight too quickly, and her pediatrician said absolutely not.  Since she is also growing proportionately longer, she is exactly where she should be and looks very healthy- yay Helen Claire!

Helen Claire was so happy when we got to the doctor.  He was impressed with her tracking and focusing and she was smiley the entire visit... until the shots.  Her doctor said she is ready to move to her big girl crib and we do not need to wake her up if she is sleeping through the night.  I told him she was sleeping 6-6.5 hours, and he said we should get on our knees and thank the Lord, but we should NOT wake her up!!

He also said we did not need to worry with crying it out.  I have been reading a ton of baby books trying to figure out how to get her to go down for naps without being rocked.  One says to let the baby start soothing herself and cry it out.  The next one says you can't spoil a baby and to respond quickly to crying.  It's so confusing!  He said not to worry about that until around 4 months, especially since she sleeps so well at night.  He said there is obviously not an attachment problem if she will sleep that long at night by herself. I'm taking that as confirmation to give her lots of love during the day :)

We talked about going to daycare and getting her ready for that.  He was glad we had already tried her on the pumped bottles a few times, since that can be hard for breastfed babies to get used to.  He also said I should get ready, because it's going to be even harder than I think- sad, because I think it is going to be miserable.  We got our blue slip (baby is official now) and he signed our daycare paperwork for us.

He said not to worry about the spit-up/tummy trouble she has had.  As long as she is gaining weight and having enough wet diapers, he said it is normal and will get better over time.  


We are really thankful for the healthy check-up and we go back in two more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment