Helen Claire (really her Mommy) was so excited about going to see where the Cabbage Patch babies are born. I have been there once before when I was little (in the old building), and we wanted to take Helen Claire since she is so into her babies and as a surprise for her birthday.
She loves her pat-patch dolls and my old ones, so when we noticed on the map that we could take a scenic route home and drive right past the hospital in Cleveland, GA, it was a no-brainer.
We made it right before closing and got to see the last mother cabbage delivery of the day. I think Jonathan was in shock and could not believe he was actually there or that I was actually enjoying this. It is just like a real hospital (kind of). You have to check in at the Admissions desk, and you walk through the nursery to the delivery suite. I feel like a big five year old typing this out, but I was so excited!
We got to see all of the cabbages and the magic tree and crystals.
The baby was a girl- they even did an ultrasound to make sure, and the audience got to help name her, but I can't remember the name.
We saw the wall with first edition, old dolls, and I was trying my best to find Otis Lee.
I did not, but I did find one named Laurie Anne- that's for you, Aunt Laurie! Just look how much she is worth now... wish we had one of those stuck in a closet somewhere.
There were lots of exhibits, and Helen Claire really liked the tea party room.
Papa gave Helen Claire some spending money for her birthday, so she toured the gift shop and got a souvenir little baby dressed up as a kitty-cat and an official hat.
Then, we took some pictures of Helen Claire as a Cabbage Patch Baby before we left.
She also met a nurse who wanted to take her home, and Helen Claire went right to her.
We had such a good time at Babyland, that we decided to stop over in Helen, GA so Helen Claire could take a picture with the "Welcome to Helen" sign.
When I was little, I clogged one summer in Helen. Yes, you read that sentence correctly. I clogged, and it was fun, plus that was the trip where we first got to visit Babyland General, so it was fun to do a re-do trip with my own baby.
Helen is not the same as I remembered it (but they do still have all the trucks of intertubes, Josh and Vickie).
It was a little sketchy. There were lots of tattoo shops, lots of people smoking, lots of people wearing scandalous outifts, plus it was drizzling rain, so we took a few pictures, got a coffee and a snack and went on our way.
I wanted a picture with the "Alpine Helen" sign... see the Tattoo shop in the background.
We did stop and listen to the singers for a little while. This little performance area is where I danced about 20 years ago.
This picture is funny to me because it looks like Helen Claire is giving someone a dirty look... probably one of the scantily clad women.

There was much more water in the river than when we were there before. When we went as children, Granny and Mom took us tubing, and every few minutes, we would have to get up and walk because the water was so low.
It made me sad, because I had built it up how I remembered it, and it was kind of a let down.
It made for a good road trip, though, and Helen Claire was a trooper. She loved looking at all the mountains and cows and making moo sounds, and we had fun on our first big roadtrip. No real plans, just stopping when we felt like it... it was a good time and a good way to end the big birthday week.


































No comments:
Post a Comment