Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Helen Claire Weekly

Weeks 37 and 38 are a blur!!! I don't have our usual pig picture for these weeks, but I still want to remember some things Helen Claire learned to do while in the hospital. It seems like her "Babyhood" is going by so quickly, and she is looking more and more toddler like. If I could just bottle up this time... anyway, I know I say something similar to that every week. Here are the things I loved about the time I had with her these past two weeks:


  • Saying "Mama." Even though it was a sad, pitiful sight, she said Mama over and over when the nurses came in to do more "stuff" to her.

  • Pointing- she points at anything she likes or wants. All.the.time.

  • Playing with her car- Aunt Laurie gave her a dashboard/steering wheel toy that made all kinds of car noises. She would sit in her hospital crib and "drive."' We all joked that she was trying to bust out of there!

    DSCN0460

  • Saying "uh-huh-" Ok, this was really pitiful. Anytime the nurses or doctors had to do any kind of procedure like eye drops, temperature, blood pressure, etc., Helen Claire would whimper, but she would keep saying "uh-huh, uh-huh," over and over to herself, almost like she was talking herself into being ok, and as long as she could get to Passie, she was very brave.

DSCN0486

  • Patting- HC has always been a lovey, patty kind of baby. We've bounced and patted since she was tiny. Now, if you hold her and she's sleepy (or trying to be funny), she will pat your back too. She really does have a sweet, sharing spirit, and I love watching that come out.

DSCN0497


This is just a sidenote... the hospital had to hang this sign on our door because Helen Claire was contagious. It made my Pa and Granny furious. When people came in in gowns and the plastic masks and goggles, they would fuss and say, "Why do they have to dress up like a spaceman." It was so funny how protective they were. It was sad that this was on my sweet baby's door, though.
DSCN0489

Her Eyelashes.
DSCN0479

Oh. My. Word. I had a lot of opportunities to hold her and watch her sleep, which I haven't done in a long time because we have been trying so hard to get her to fall asleep on her own... those eyelashes are ridiculous. When she got the eye infection, her eyelashes were so thick and the matter stuck so much that her eyes were shut for almost three hours. It made me realize how thick they actually are. To have been such a sick baby, she really was the sweetest thing. She was even good for her breathing treatments. Here are some pictures from the days after we left the hospital and she got to play at Mimi's.

DSCN0451

DSC_0128
DSC_0091

Puffs make everything better!

DSC_0092 DSC_0081

Being a big girl and doing her breathing treatments (with tape still on the side of her head- I promise we scrubbed... it just would NOT come off)

DSC_0090
We are back in Birmingham now and trying to settle back in to a normal routine. Please pray that we will have some "boring" weeks ahead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment