Thursday, August 5, 2010

Helen Claire Weekly




8 weeks old!  Helen Claire is growing so fast, and she has really been a lot of fun this week.  She is definitely realizing that she is in the world, and she likes to play more now, which has provided a lot of entertainment for us.  

She had some visitors this week.  Aunt Brandi and Nana came to see her on Saturday and stayed until Sunday afternoon.  It was her first time to meet Aunt Brandi, and I think she was rocked the entire time they were here- she loved it!


Since Brandi and Mrs. Donna were here, and since the pediatrician told us it was time to move out of the bassinet, we figured it would be the perfect time.  So on Saturday night, Jonathan and I slept out in her room for her first night in the big girl crib.  She did great and only woke up three times, but one of those was just to get a diaper change, and then she went right back down.  Sunday night, we slept in separate rooms for the first time!!!  Can you say panic!  Helen Claire didn't seem to be bothered in the least bit, but Jonathan and I didn't get a wink of sleep.  Since then, she has been sleeping for naps and night time in her big crib all by herself.  She does really great and is only waking up once during the night.  I haven't decided if it works best to feed her around 9 and then again around 11:30 or to feed her at 9 then let her sleep until she wakes up.  We have tried it both ways, and since I need her to eat at 6 for my work routine, we are still trying to figure out which way works best.  If she doesn't wake up until 5, it is a little difficult to make her eat again at 6.  Giving her the extra feeding around 11-11:30 helps her sleep until 6, but she won't always take that feeding because she is so sleepy.  I know, confusing, right?  We will figure it out someday :).  

She is doing great at her waketime now.  She is actually fun to play with.  She loves to read, sing, play with rattles, or the toys on her playmat... anything that makes noise.  Her favorite songs are Little Red Caboose and we are working on the Braham's Lullaby.  Mom sent us the Jewel lullaby CD, and it is awesome!  I actually like having the songs stuck in my head all day. She gave us another CD that has split tracks so we can sing the words without the artists, which is fun.  We have been singing O, Susanna, but we change it up a little bit.  We sing it O, Aunt Vickie don't you cry for me... I come from Alabama... I'm a baby on a knee (while she bounces on my knee).   Since it talks about going from AL to LA, I think that's appropriate!  I'll have to try to video it for Vickie if the baby will cooperate.  

Helen Claire is still doing a good job with tracking, and now she is turning her head more and more to find noises.  Jonathan and I play a little game with her where we each get on one side and talk to her, taking turns.  She will turn to whomever is talking just like she is following the conversation- such a smart girl.  Sometimes she will coo back at us, like she's saying it's her turn to talk!

She LOVES bath-time now, maybe even more than meal-time.  She doesn't get cold as easily now, so we don't have to use the space heaters anymore.  She loves to play in the water and kick her feet.  I pour water over her with the little cup they gave us at the hospital, and it is her favorite part.  We do bath-time after her 6pm feeding to wind her down for bed, then we put on her sleeper and read a story.  

She is still a hiccupy little girl and gets them at least 2-3 times a day.  I asked the doctor about it last week, and he said it is nothing to worry about as long as she gains weight, which is not a problem for our chunky monkey.  He said they should get better as her tummy matures.  Let's hope so!  She is still very cuddly and loves to be held, especially in the mornings after her first feeding when she is still a little sleepy-eyed and not quite awake yet.  She will stretch and yawn and put both hands under her face like a pillow, almost like she just needs a few more minutes of sleep.  I think she is going to have Jonathan's temperament about waking up- it takes her a while!

I have to go back to work on Monday, and I am ready in some ways and not ready in others.  I am ready to see my friends again and see the students.  I am ready to feel like I have accomplished something everyday (not that I don't accomplish things here, it's just a re-play of eat, play, sleep).  I love my job, and I know once I get there and get in a routine, things will be fine.  I know going to daycare will be good for Helen Claire and it will teach her to love lots of people, not just me and Jonathan.  I know it will be good for her to be around other babies, but I am going to be a little sad that I will miss every little detail of her day.  I have grown so used to seeing her change everyday, and I am worried that I won't notice things once she isn't with me all day.  I know she is going to a great "school" and they have a excellent teachers who will love on her and take wonderful care of her, so I'm trying not to completely freak out and quit my job!  Just kidding, but it has run through my mind a couple of times :)

I'm sure we will have lots to talk about next week... my Mom, Granny, and Mrs. Donna are splitting the week since daycare doesn't start until the 16th- get ready for lots of crazy stories.  

1 comment:

  1. I feel famous since I made the song!! She's getting too grown up...she and the other babies born that week don't look like newborns anymore
    :(

    ReplyDelete