6 weeks! I am trying to get used to the fact that time is flying by, but this is ridiculous! I feel like we were just bringing her home. Anyway, I know I say that every week, so on to the big things... here's what Helen Claire can do this week:
- I think we have finally worked out the tummy troubles she was having. I called the pediatrician's office last week, and the nurse said it sounded like she was getting too much to eat too quickly. She gave me some tips, and things have been much, much better. We are having a lot less gas and reflux, plus the baby just seems happier and is able to eat better.
- She is really getting more and more alert each day and starting to show us her little personality. She loves to look around, especially at faces. She has started being a very cuddly baby, and since she is so chunky, she sort of just smooshes into your chest when you hold her. She loves to hold on when she is being held. She will put her hand on your arm, chest, face, or wherever she can. She also has started grabbing onto my hair when I feed her or hold her. She is becoming a very happy baby. She smiles and makes little noises at us, especially after a nap or after she eats. She loves to play: we read, sing, play beep-beep with her nose- anything where she gets talked to.
- She is getting on a much more predictable schedule. This has been a fantastic week as far as sleep is concerned. During the day, she is doing such a good job with naps. We could do a little better in the evening on her last nap before her bedtime feeding, but other than that, she is napping like a champ! I really wanted to start getting the schedule down before she starts daycare, because I know they won't be able to hold her all day or rock her while she sleeps. So, this week, we really started being intentional about eating, playing, and sleeping. She is working on getting herself to sleep without being rocked, she is napping in the big crib, and her daytime schedule is helping so much at night. So far this week, she has eaten at around 10:30 p.m. and only got up for one middle of the night feeding around 4:00 am, then she goes back to sleep until around 6:30 am. It is helping me and Jonathan to have more sleep- I actually feel like I can bond with her better during the day because I'm not so tired anymore. I am so proud of her, because if you know about my sleep habits as a child, you know this is nothing short of a miracle! I didn't sleep by myself until I went to college!!
We started cloth diapers this week. I really want to be good at cloth diapering because it is so much better for babies' skin, and so far, it has not been as hard as I imagined. I need to get better at folding the old school kind, but the newer-fancier ones I bought are very simple and are working out fine. We'll see how it goes and if daycare will even allow them, but for now, they are working for home.
- Poor baby is losing her hair! She has a few little bald spots: on the sides of her head where she lays to eat and on the back of her head where she sleeps. The hair she does have is also getting lighter, except for the little mullet she rocks in the back. It's still thick and dark brown. She looks kind of crazy with partly bald, partly blonde and partly brown hair, but oh well. I guess we'll have to wait and see what color hair she has until it starts growing back.
This has been a really fun week, and I feel like we are starting to turn a curve. I don't feel so overwhelmed anymore, and we are enjoying getting to know her. Hopefully, the sleep schedule will keep going well and we will have lots more fun things to talk about next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment